Media / Press Room /
Also: KLIV Radio, Palo Alto Weekly, Palo Alto Daily News, Planetizen, Curbed
SF, Bay Area Transportation News yahoo group, etc.
San Jose Mercury news, Dec 22, 2009. (story ran in sister
papers: Contra Costa Times, Bay Area Daily News) "Palo Alto resident's
proposal would put air bags on front of trains,"
http://www.contracostatimes.com/search/ci_14091138 . Google News Search
indicated that 19 media outlets picked up this story.
Bay Area NBC, Dec 22, 2009. "Cow Catcher 2.0 Proposed for
Rochester MN Post-Bulletin, Nov 17, Minnesota PRT Symposium
in Rochester. Story is not available online anymore.
October 4, 2009.
"Invasion of the pod car." Boston Globe, The U.S.'s 17th largest paper prints
a long-form (2,200 word) Sunday feature on PRT, accurately balancing blemishes
and potential. An historical perspective on the 40 years of mostly-failed PRT
attempts is provided. In arguing for "momentum," the three current PRT
projects with customers are listed: London Heathrow (opens Spring 2010),
Masdar ecocity, and Suncheon, South Korea.
MIT Technology Review, Monday, February 09, 2009.
"Personal Rapid Transit Startup. Small, automatic electric vehicles will be
demonstrated in two new projects."
- Planetizen, Oct 17, 2007. Palo Alto Daily News, Oct 16,
2007. "Affluent Community Torn By Housing Allocation Numbers"
Palo Alto Weekly, Oct 16, 2007. "ABAG housing projections
split PA City Council. Would 2,860 new units help Earth or ruin Palo Alto?",
- USA Today. October 8, 2007. "People-movers to get
smaller, more personal at Heathrow."
- Palo Alto Daily News and San Jose Mercury News, Aug 29,
2007. "3,505 new home-building recommendation debated - Housing survey revs up
- Palo Alto Weekly, Aug 17, 2007. " 'Slow growth' or
'smart growth' survey launched - Palo Altans asked to balance neighborhood
protection against economic and environmental cost of jobs-housing imbalance,"
- Green Technology Magazine, April 2007, "Destination
- Palo Alto Weekly, March 7, 2007. "Guest
Opinion: The Terrible Choice Between New Homes and Global Warming." Guest
- Carfree Times, Issue 45, Feb 26, 2007. "Better
Carrots?" - article on Traffic Reducing Housing.
- Metro Magazine, September/October 2005, "Transit gets personal." http://www.metro-magazine.com/t_feat_pick.cfm?id=90508940
- Urban Transportation Monitor, July 22, 2005. Volume 19, Number 14. Page 7. "EPA
Funds Study of PRT Connecting BART Station with Business Park in Bay Area. Resulting Increase in Transit Use Will
Allow Infill Development Using Surface Parking Space." http://www.urban-transportation-monitor.com/
- MIT Technology Review, June 23, 2005,
"Continuous Commuting" - "some intriguing ideas about how
the mobile computing device that's already ubiquitous -- the cell phone --
could become a command station for or commuters trying to avoid congestion
and spare the air."
- SF Chronicle, Thursday, June 23, 2005. "UCSF plan to house its staff. Affordable
units proposed by 2012 at Mission Bay." Cities21 quoted regarding the benefits of locating inexpensive housing
next to jobs. Link.
- The Independent (serving Livermore, Pleasanton, and Sunol), June 23, 2005. "Personal Rapid Transit Testing
- Contra Costa Times: June 18, 2005. "Pleasanton to analyze Personal Rapid
Also carried in sister publications such as the the Valley Times.
- Planetizen: June 16, 2005. EPA awards Cities21 a “Transforming Office Parks into
Transit Villages” grant. http://www.planetizen.com/announce/item.php?id=933
- EPA Press Release: EPA awards Palo Alto nonprofit $204,604 to study business
park transit system, 6/16/05. Link
- Seattle NPR Radio KUOW, The Conversation with Ross Reynolds. 1/27/05, 1PM, "Brainstorming
Transportation Solutions." "Why are we at war in Iraq? At least partly it’s to ensure the continued flow
of Middle Eastern oil to fuel our cars. But what if we weren’t so dependent on the car? Think of it! A new Middle
East policy! No traffic jams! Cleaner air! We might even save money." David Maymudes on PRT, Steve Raney on
digital hitchhiking. http://www.kuow.org/theconversation.asp , MP3: http://www.kuow.org/defaultProgram.asp?ID=8325
- "Can hitchhiking help commuters? Consultant seeks to ease congestion,"
Times Web, 11/18/04, Page B1. article. Article was also web posted on Planetizen,
ITS America Public Transportation Forum, CUTR Transp-tdm forum, UC Berkeley Transportation Headlines, and slug-lines.com.
- Seattle AM Radio 710, ABC affiliate KIRO, 11/18/04, The Dori Monson Show
- Planetizen Rail~Volution OpEd:
http://www.planetizen.com/node/133, 9/17/04. Appeal to bring about smarter
growth more rapidly.
- "Monorail pitched to city planners," San Jose Mercury News, Mercury
News Web, article
with pictures and captions, 7/1/04, Page B1.
bullet, or pie in the sky?, Palo Alto Weekly, 6/25/04, Page 3 (with a
nice Skyweb Express graphic). Spry Reply to Pie in the Sky.
- Push is on for 'People Mover' type transit project, Palo Alto Daily News, 6/23/04, Page 1
Personal Monorail / Personal Rapid Transit
vehicle & guideway imagery:
- Skyweb Express images: http://www.skywebexpress.com/6400_downloads.shtml
- Streaming video: http://www.skywebexpress.com/150k4_additional.shtml
- The following Skyweb artwork is cleared for use, provided the citation
"Skyweb Express rendering by Dan Gleeson" is used: Taxi2000byGleeson3.bmp - 1275 x 955 resolution,
3.5MB. 800x600 1.4MB bitmaps: UrbanT2Kintersection.bmp , T2Kcab.bmp , prtStation.bmp , PRTstation2.BMP , PRTvehicleOnGuideway.BMP , Prt14.bmp , Prt15.bmp , Prt16.bmp , Prt17.bmp , Prt26.bmp , Prt28.bmp .
- ULTra images
Media contact: Steve Raney, email:
cities21 at cities21
dot oh ar gee, (650) 329- 9200